Saturday, April 21, 2012

House in the Dunes

Kate Kern Mundie, House in the Dunes, 16 x 20 inches, oil on panel

I am in love with this tiny cottage perched in the dunes at Ballston Beach, Cape Cod. The path to the beach skirts the house and I always want to peek inside. I painted a nocturn of the house a couple of years ago (see below) and returned to it as subject matter once again. I am stalking this house in paint.

The new painting is more of a portrait of the house than a landscape with a building. I wanted to show its size and give a feel of its fragility. The house is built on piers and the dunes have drifted and shifted out, under, and around the house over the last 100 years.  The beach is eroding by about 20 to 50 feet every year. I fear one of these summers when I return to Ballston Beach the house will be gone.


Kate Kern Mundie, House at Ballston Beach, oil on masonite, 24 x 20 inches, 2010

1 comment:

Thank you for your comments. All comments to Mundie•Art are subject to moderation before posting.