Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Independence Hall under Snow

Kate Kern Mundie, Independence Snow
oil on masonite, 20 x 16 inches, 2011

Painting snow or a snow storm is a challenge. The variations of white and the flat light can make it difficult to come up with a compelling composition. From my workplace I can look out over Independence Mall and see the snow storms roll in. The buildings, park, and bare trees created a stark group of flat shapes. I had fun piecing it together like a puzzle.  I found some inspiration from Gustave Caillebotte’s Rooftops Under Snow

 

A post script: My friend Al, sent me a link to an NPR piece on Caillebotte's work, and you can see more on Caillebotte's work here.  

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that painting. Would you be able to inbox me a general idea of pricing so that I can save some money to bring to the show? I am so excited to see the rest of your work.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. All comments to Mundie•Art are subject to moderation before posting.