Friday, May 20, 2011

Delaware Water Gap No. 2 or My Montagne Sainte-Victoire

 Kate Kern Mundie, Delaware Water Gap No. 2
oil on masonite, 24 x 48 inches, 2011

I have done two paintings of the Delaware Water Gap. For this painting, I looked to Cézanne for inspiration, especially at how Cézanne painted Montagne Sainte-Victoire. Cézanne used warmer colors like green in the sky, as if the sky reflected the earth instead of the other way around. I tried to bring some warmer blues and greens into the sky and use a lot of purple in the vegetation the way Cézanne did. 

Now, all I need to do is go to the south of France and actually paint Montagne Sainte-Victoire for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. All comments to Mundie•Art are subject to moderation before posting.