Friday, May 27, 2011

Delaware and Schuylkill

Kate Kern Mundie, Sunrise, oil on masonite, 16 x 20 inches, 2011



Kate Kern Mundie, Sunrise (detail), oil on masonite, 2011
I work in an office building in Philadelphia with views overlooking Independence Hall, the Delaware River, and the buildings of Center City. On a clear day you can see the Schuylkill River, too.

Looking out the window early one winter morning, I was amazed at the beauty of the Sunoco refinery transformed into El Dorado.  The golden sunlight reflecting on the tanks and the steam seemed to turn into ice in the air. I do not know if it was the light sky reflecting in the Schuylkill River or if it was ice on the river that made it stand out from the predawn shadows.  I had my camera with me but I also sat and did a quick sketch. The only color I had available to me were a few highlighter markers. The yellow highlighter was not yellow enough to capture the morning sky.

Kate Kern Mundie, Delaware Dawn, oil on masonite, 8 x 20 inches, 2011
After doing a sketch looking out our western windows I went to the eastern windows to catch another gorgeous view. The river seemed to be waking up, with barges moving and longshore container cranes gliding along their tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. All comments to Mundie•Art are subject to moderation before posting.